Now that the excitement of Easter has started to subside, shelters and rabbit rescues will begin to be inundated with surrendered bunnies. Now is the time to show your support for rabbit welfare and rescue!
Here are a few options:
- Donate to the national House Rabbit Society (which funds national education efforts and Emergency Rescue Grants)
- Donate to local rabbit rescues, including House Rabbit Society chapters
- If you are an experienced house rabbit owner and have the space, sign up with a local rescue to foster bunnies in your home
- Volunteer with your local rescue
- Donate supplies (hay, litter, puppy-pens, etc.) to your local rescue
You may also want to put focus on Alabama-based shelters (e.g. Alabama EARS or Huntsville Friends of Rabbits), who may have to accommodate rabbits displaced from the tornadoes in addition to the annual post-Easter influx.