Congratulations to Amber who won our Bunny Holiday Card Giveaway!
We had some fantastic responses to the question in our giveaway, What’s your best piece of advice for new bunny owners? Amber’s piece of advice was:
I always tell new rabbit owners: when trying to understand bunny habits, think of a rabbit more like a cat than a large hamster. They are much more curious, interactive and clever than I think most people anticipate.
Here are a few more responses:
- Be patient! It takes bunnies so much longer to trust and form bonds than a cat or a dog, but it’s so rewarding once they do. I also preach the glory of cord protectors.
- Spend time with your buns. They are not cage animals. I’ve found that the personalities of our two rabbits really came out when we allowed them to hop around the house freely. Also, if you have access to fresh hay, buy it! The hay at the pet stores is expensive and my rabbits don’t really care for it much. But the fresh hay I buy at the MSPCA @ Nevins Farm, they absolutely love!
- Make sure you potty train your new bun! And feed him or her lots of hay
- Read lots of bunny books and articles to be sure you’re getting different perspectives! Also, get a big box and cut out a slot so they can jump in and fill it with newspaper and cardboard to protect your carpet and furniture!!!
- Get in touch with your local House Rabbit Society chapter. Its always good to be a part of a community of experienced bunny people who can answer any question you have.
For all the great answers, see the comments on our giveaway post.
Wow … so sad that I didn’t found your website long ago…
Wish if I would have been able to take part in this contest too 🙁
Any way now I am regular visitor 🙂
Keep it up … chweet chweet